Monday, August 27, 2007

What a day!! What a week!

Its been ages since I've posted, so here's a little update. Today I rented a backhoe to dig out for the kitchen extension. Of course in the process I dug through my sewage line. It can be fixed but, after that I went around the house and past the truck up the driveway to dig a trench for a wall at the top of the driveway. In the process I somehow managed to knock the track off the machine. Now I've got tons of clay and rubble piled in the driveway and a disabled machine at the entrance and... no pipe for the sewage line. Obviously the truck is parked down by the house, but I can't get out the driveway. Ah well, I'll just have to wait till tomorrow, but I did want to do a little bit more digging before the machine has to go back. But what will be, will be! The stove is finally in the kitchen, but not hooked up yet, I'm waiting for the propane man to come and install the piping before I move the thing into position, hopefully in a few days. Last week my Victorio strainer arrived so now I can start mashing stuff for jams, jellies and other purees. Maybe in a week or so I'll go blueberry picking. The berries are ripe, but the commercial picking season hasn't started yet so I still have a little time. It will be nice to have a freezer load of plumb berries. On Sunday past (Aug. 26/07) Phillip and I set up a table at a local roadside flea market, but it turned out to be the worst day this summer. There were several women also at our location and they confirmed the fact. Unfortunately we had to dump 40 lbs of lettuce and about 10-12 lbs of zucchini into the compost at the end of the day. I've kept the herbs and will dry them. Phillip sold none of his produce, but I did sell 1 bottle of last year's pickled beets. I honestly don't believe I've seen such a slow Sunday afternoon before, hardly any traffic.

Bet you couldn't tell, but I've been gone for an hour. Rod, the next door neighbour arrived home and he put the track back on the digging machine. Of course he also had things that needed digging up so we've been out doing that. His 9 year old son tried the machine and he's a natural at it. Put us both to shame. Tomorrow I'll finish what needs to be done around here (move the stuff out of the driveway) and hopefully I'll get a few pics. Its now 10:22 at night and time I suppose to get a bit to eat! So that's it for now. Take care of yourselves and enjoy nature's bounty. Talk to you soon.

No comments: