Sunday, July 29, 2007

My, my, my the HEAT

It must have been a hundred million thousand degrees out yesterday and today. Just scorching! Right now at 10 minutes after nine pm its still 78.8 degrees f in the house. I don't know what that is in c degrees. Usually the house is cooler than outside and believe it or not it still is. I just went out and checked. The thermometer outside shows 84f and 28c. It has dual scales. Think I might stroll down to the pond for another swim. Yesterday the neighbours were away camping so I had a little dip au natural. It was superb!! and in a way very peaceful. It was really too hot to do much of anything either yesterday or today, but I did remove the section of kitchen wall in anticipation of moving the stove (range) in. Phillip was hoping a crew would be visiting this weekend and thought the move could be accomplished. Unfortunately, no one showed up. I did get a bit of weeding done and installed siding on two walls of the tool shed. Last evening I watered the gardens and I assure you they needed the moisture. Today I took a few shots and they have been added to the photo archive. Here's a description: picture entitled 'Rose' is of a rose plant behind a rhododendron bush and small spruce tree. It is near the driveway and lawn. The second pic is row of Swiss chard in veggie garden. The sun light hasn't completely washed out the stunted row of cabbage and brussel sprout plants to the left. 'Zuchinin bed' is supposed to show the size of the zuchini plants but sorry there's no reference, but they are about 2 ft high and virtually all plants either have fruit or are in bloom. The next pic shows a 'baby zuchini' fruit. It is actually about 5 inches long, but not mature enough yet to pick. The smaller fruit are usually the best for flavour and texture. The last picture, marked 'Lettuce' is obviously the lettuce beds. You may find this hard to believe, but I have been religiously harvesting these lettuces. Growing them in beds certainly appears to be a good method. I need to thin out the Romaine. They're too close together and having trouble bunching, but the individual leaves are excellant. Have concluded that next year I shall return to getting my seeds from Vessey in PEI. I've had good results from their seed in the past and judging by what's happened to this years crops its not such a great idea to get seed from box stores. I can only assume they were old seed because everything else was optimal. But then again, we did have a poor start to the season. What bothers me though is that everyone else's gardens seem to be doing so much better. Maybe its just the ' grass is greener' syndrome? Well, blah, blah, blah I've probably bored you to death. Must go have a swim and then probably to bed. A new week starts tomorrow so have a great one. Take care and enjoy the pics.

No comments: